STRETE PARISH COUNCIL
Clerk: Mrs Andrea Phillips
1 Hyne Town, Strete, Dartmouth TQ6 0RT
firstname.lastname@example.org 01803 770786 www.strete.org.uk
MINUTES OF A MEETING OF STRETE PARISH COUNCIL (PC)
HELD IN STRETE PARISH HALL ON THURSDAY 20 DECEMBER 2012 AT 7.30 P.M.
Cllr Tony Crawford, Chairman (TC) Cllr Ian Cumberlidge (IC)
Cllr Kate Gill, Vice-Chairman (KG)
Cllr David Rothwell (DR) Cllr Jeff Scanlan (JS)
Cllr Bryan Seymour (BS)
Cllr Julian Brazil, County Councillor, Kingsbridge & Stokenham Ward (JB)
Cllr Richard Foss, District Councillor, Skerries Ward (RF)
Mrs Andrea Phillips – Clerk
Nine members of the public
TC opened the meeting by wishing all Councillors, the Clerk and members of the public a peaceful and happy Christmas and New Year.
Lesley Saffin wished to talk about StreteWise, the village magazine but it was pointed out that the PC has no input into its content other than submitting minutes for publication, it is entirely independent. She also wished to raise the state of road flooding and potholes locally. The Clerk has already notified the authorities of the problems, they will be monitored.
Liz Ferguson asked what contact the PC has had with Trand, the Clerk replied nothing at all since the last meeting. She asked if any future development at Cox’s Farm was included in the Neighbourhood Plan, to which was replied it is not at present. KG added that three members of the PC and the Clerk had recently been on a training course and as a result of this the Plan would not be complete in the Spring as had been thought as it is a far more lengthy process than was originally suggested and it could take around a year to complete and pass through all the stages during which there will be plenty of parish input. The Clerk stated that the Plan and any proposed development at Cox’s Farm are not related, neither is dependent upon the other and they will progress or not as the case may be, singularly.
Richard Soans asked about the state of the A379 between Asherne and Sea Cliff, on the south side as it is technically the Coastal Footpath and is very overgrown with brambles etc., which narrows the highway making it more dangerous for pedestrians using this route. The clerk will liaise with the parish lengthsman to ask for it to be cleared.
Kevin Finnegan raised the subject of speeding in the village, a subject that has been raised several times previously but the PC has in the past been advised by the Police that the 20mph limit is not enforceable. Mr Finnegan believes it is with new technology, JB suggested that he contacts the new Police Commissioner to raise this with him. TC added that the PC had also been advised that there were insufficient resources to man a speed trap for instance or to provide mechanical measuring devices and the PC has requested help in this previously. BS reported that he recently saw speed cameras in Halwell, but locally the Police are keen to educate drivers in safer driving skills. TC said that the PC was instrumental in obtaining the 20mph limit for the village and we will request attendance once again.
Cllr Malcolm Hollis (MH)
PCSO Sam Broad (SB) Devon & Cornwall Constabulary
1212/2 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
JS declared an interest in the Conservation Group as a member and has amended his Register of Notifiable Interests with SDHC accordingly. He is not required to further state his Interests in this matter at future meetings.
1212/3 MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING HELD ON 22 NOVEMBER 2012
It was agreed to make the following changes: Open Forum item, the clerk wishes to change the word village to parish at the bottom of the first para, JS requested changes as follows, item 1112/2 – delete the words ‘Trand/housing development of Cox’s Field’ item 1112/7 – delete the words ‘this has been arranged by the Conservation Group’, item 1112/8 – JS refurbished 3 Parish Council benches and two others, MH refurbished the remaining two PC benches. The remainder of the above minutes were AGREED as a true and correct record and were signed by the Chairman.
1212/4 COUNTY COUNCILLOR’S REPORT
JB commented on the proposed Neighbourhood Plan and said that as SHDC budgets were to be cut, there would be limited funding and support of these. Master Plans will be used for development in the LDF. Regarding speeding, he felt it would be a good idea for Mr Finnegan to raise this with the new Police Commissioner as he considers speeding is an offence alongside drink driving and should be pursued. There are community speedwatch schemes and perhaps we could arrange for one of these to be used in Strete. Regarding DCC, the government settlement for funding is still unknown at present but more cuts will be inevitable and for this he would like to hear from parishioners as to what services they would not like to see reduced. Plus he would be keen to know of any vulnerable individuals who may be affected, funding will be confirmed tomorrow. TC asked what has happened to the planned Sherford development? JB updated that the leader of the council was summonsed by Parliament to explain the delays which could have been caused by the developer not now wishing to go ahead. The lack of white lines on newly surfaced roads in Stoke Fleming and Blackpool Hill were discussed and although the carriageway needs to be a certain width before lines can be used, this was not the case there and Stoke Fleming PC reported back to the clerk that they were withheld as part of an agreed traffic calming scheme which is now being used widely around the country.
1212/5 DISTRICT COUNCILLOR’S REPORT
RF recommended that whilst writing to the Police Commissioner, we also add that reduced hours means that the Police are no longer able to be present at local PC meetings and perhaps this should also be pointed out. Regarding council tax, Richard Sheard says that funding is still not known but undoubtedly it will mean budget cuts and he too would like to hear of services parishioners would not like reduced. The planning department is beginning to become more efficient following staff recruitment of 4 full-time planning officers including enforcement and environmental. There is a planned mass fund-raising walk on the South West Coastal Path in 2013 to fund further improvements. Master Plans for the development of affordable housing by Millwood homes in Dartmouth is being finalised, the Cluster Group and Stoke Fleming PC have approved it and it will be decided in 2013, it is outside of the DPD. DCC’s grass cutting is no longer to be carried out by SHDC and it will either be handed down to parishes or an alternative third party sought but this needs to be considered when setting the precept. Concerning the coastal footpath, it would appear very slow progress has been made, Robin Toogood of the AONB has started obtaining quotes for the work, so when the go-ahead is given, they will be in a position to make an immediate start, first with a munitions sweep.
JB left the meeting.
1212/6 REPRESENTATIVE’S REPORTS ON OUTSIDE BODIES
To receive reports from councillors on their attendance at meetings or reports:
StreteWise - email@example.com www.stretewise.co.uk – MH reported in his absence that StreteWise will be distributed to all homes in the parish for the first two publications in the year; the other four will just go to subscribers. The linked website is fully developed and has the aim of promoting the village and its commercial enterprises. Its own two targets in June were to raise revenue and reduce costs; both of these have been well met resulting in free distribution for some issues for all the parish.
DALC/CPRE Neighbourhood Plan training 12.12.12 – KG, JS, MH, and AP all attended and KG summarised that a lot of new information was learnt. The process is very protracted and difficult and will undoubtedly cause SHDC extra work and they possibly won’t have the reserves and resources to do it in a cooperative way. It is thought that a Village Statement may well be an alternative if this proves the case. RF is to consider the Strete Gate Manor planning application from an AONB/SSSI point of view.
Dartmouth & District Transport Group 22.11.12 (not attended as it was the PC meeting date) – TC reported from feedback that it was a more positive meeting and First Bus are to trial a double decker to Paignton in the summer and are reconsidering their decision not to take buses right into the train station at Totnes.1212/7 TREE WARDEN REPORT
IC has inspected the Ash in the Tannen Land; it has a pocket cavity in the base and could do with a reduction but it is still unknown what the cross signifies or who marked it.
1212/8 PARISH REPRESENTATIVE REPORTS
Traffic & Highways: (JS) JS inspected the vegetation debris on the road by the bus stop and DCC have now logged it as a maintenance job as it would now appear to be causing a problem with the bus being able to pull right in. Some hedges have been trimmed at the top of Totnes Road and the street sweeper has been in the village.
Litter Bins, Street Litter: (DR) nothing to report.
Play Park: (KG) KG has identified some suitable 5-a-side goal posts; these come in pairs with nets and fixings in aluminium or steel and range between £528 for steel and £636 for aluminium. KG is to check the grant status.
Public Rights of Way: (IC) – the coastal footpath hill down to Landcome is becoming very slippery and the PC wonder if it could be stepped.
Strete Sands, Strete Gate, Pilchard’s Cove: (IC & KG) The clerk informed SHDC about the tyre marks on the tarmac and the condition of some of the post and rail fencing. The drainage on the new surface is holding up well so far but has just started to leak slightly. A chair was dumped there, but was quickly removed.
Tannen Land (Community Area) & Dog Waste Bin: (BS) – the field is very boggy and the hedges were cut last week. RF advised the PC to get legal advice for the new Management Agreement; the Clerk is to obtain some information or recommendations. JS and KG are to look at the two draft agreements we have been sent, this will be discussed further next month.
Milestones & benches: (MH) no new items to report.
PC Website www.strete.org.uk & PC email firstname.lastname@example.org : (Editor – Clerk) – nothing to report.1212/9 PLANNING & PLANNING MATTERS
New applications to be considered by the PC at this meeting:
54/2813/12/F Cherry Orchard, Totnes Road, Strete, TQ6 0RU – Householder application for reconfiguration of existing garage. – Planning Officer Mr Chris Mitchell – it was agreed to raise no objections to this application.
54/2729/12/F 6 Crestway, Strete, TQ6 0SF – Householder application for erection of single storey lean-to porch to side of property – Planning Officer Mr Chris Mitchell – it was agreed to raise no objections to this application.
15/2890/12/PREMIN Sea cliff, Strete, TQ6 0RR – pre-planning application for pedestrian tunnel beneath realigned south west coastal footpath. The PC considered the accompanying plans and diagrams and agreed that support would be given to such an application.Applications brought forward from a previous meeting:
54/2596/12/F The Manor, Strete, TQ6 0RR – Householder application for building of new storage shed and associated works – Planning Officer Mrs Jenny Draper – following a site visit, it was agreed not to raise any objections to this application but to make the following requests. The present building is quite well illuminated from the Slapton Line at night when the lights are on - is there any way to screen these additional roof lights which will be slightly higher than the present ones? The site is adjacent to the SSSI land and the space between the proposed storage barn and the boundary is fairly tight, and contains a banked area with a drop of circa 4'. In order to ensure the stability of this banked area with SSSI land it was suggested that the building be moved 2-3m east which would also provide an area for tree planting/screening at the top half of the proposed barn where there is currently none. Such screening to remain in perpetuity. The Storage barn is to remain for the purposes of vehicle storage throughout its life and shall not be used for any commercial or industrial activity. SHDC DECISION NOTICES RECEIVED
The Clerk supplied the Chairman with the bank balances as follows:
Current Account opening balance £9,678.38
Cheques to be approved for signature:
1194 Strete Parish Hall – hall hire x 2 £26.00
1195 Andrea Phillips – Clerk’s salary plus additional hours - training day £274.95
1196 Jeff Scanlan – councillor expenses – training day £21.06
Closing Balance £9,356.37
i) To approve Saunders Signs - £40 + VAT for Strete Gate sign – a draft sign was shown and approved. This shall be put in place ready for the season.
ii) To discuss and approve suggested mandatory signage for Strete Play Park x 2 @ £30 + VAT each - these were discussed and approved - Strete’s particulars will be inserted and two will be ordered from SHDC.
Petty Cash opening balance - unchanged £2.94
Reserve Account opening balance - unchanged £10,244.41
It was proposed and AGREED by all present to authorise payments as enumerated above.
1212/11 POINTS OF INFORMATION
The following items will be available in the mail bag to be circulated.
Dartmouth Caring - Directory1212/12 CORRESPONDENCE
DCC – notice of Richard Hacon’s application to DCC to register the Tannen Land as a Village Green.
DCC – Tannen Land final draft Agreement for approval
SHDC – proposed play park signs
Hawthorn’s Accounting notice of increase in fees to comply with new HMRC legislation
Smiths Gore – Cox’s Field1212/13 REPORTS
BS has received permission from the Parish Hall Committee to erect a flag pole on the hall grounds. The cost of two flags (Union and St George’s), the pole and delivery will be in the region of £386 which was agreed. The VAT will be recoverable. BS was elected Flag Master.
Stoke Fleming PC has suggested applying for some of the remaining TAP funding for additional grass cutting and are prepared to do the bid. It was agreed that Strete would give its support to such a bid as each has to be jointly submitted by two parishes.
1212/14 THE NEXT PARISH COUNCIL MEETING WILL BE HELD ON THURSDAY 17 JANUARY 2013 IN STRETE PARISH HALL at 7.30PM.
THE MEETING WAS CLOSED at 9.40 p.m.
Signed: .......................................................................................................................................... Cllr Tony Crawford (Chairman)
Dated: 17 JANUARY 2013