Clerk: Mrs Andrea Phillips
Squire’s End 1 Hyne Town Strete Dartmouth TQ6 0RT
firstname.lastname@example.org 01803 770786 www.strete.org.uk
MINUTES OF A MEETING OF STRETE PARISH COUNCIL (PC)
HELD IN STRETE PARISH HALL ON THURSDAY 21 FEBRUARY 2013 AT 7.30 P.M.
Cllr Tony Crawford, Chairman (TC) Cllr Ian Cumberlidge (IC)
Cllr Kate Gill, Vice-Chairman (KG) Cllr Malcolm Hollis (MH)
Cllr David Rothwell (DR) Cllr Jeff Scanlan (JS)
Cllr Bryan Seymour (BS)
Cllr Julian Brazil, County Councillor, Kingsbridge & Stokenham Ward (JB)
Cllr Richard Foss, District Councillor, Skerries Ward (RF)
Mrs Andrea Phillips – Clerk
Seven members of the public
SB gave a crime report for the last month outlining three reported crimes, one theft of tools and clothing from a (councillor’s) vehicle and the other two relating to Hyne Town House which were taken no further.
Regarding the speeding discussion, SB reiterated her colleague’s email stating that the 20mph limit is definitely not enforceable, PC Hewitt emailed to say that certain comments previously stated by a parishioner that were taken from Police policy stating that it was enforceable were not taken in their entirety and went on to explain why it isn’t. SB continued to say that they are under directions not to enforce the limit unless the speed is excessive. In order to make drivers more aware of their speed, DCC highways would need to install safety measures before enforcement was considered. Guidelines state when and where speed traps can be used, which also then needs a safe off road area to pull cars over and there is insufficient space to do any of this in Strete. Speed indicator devices (SID) can be used by D&CC which display speed but also needs to be used in conjunction with Highways. They are set up on a daily basis when personnel are available and can’t be left unattended. DCC have also responded to the PC on the matter and they have no traffic stats to support traffic calming in the village and they wouldn’t consider it for the A379 in any event. It might be considered for Totnes Road but it would be at the parish’s expense in the region of £15 - £20k. They recommended the PC considers the Speed Watch program. SB outlined what this is, it is a community led scheme, which needs around 7 volunteers to undertake training and be a part of the monitoring system. It is a fairly involved scheme and is not popular for that reason. White lines haven’t been repainted in Stoke Fleming as part of traffic calming, but in many parts of Strete, there are no white lines either. SB recommended we ask DCC to consider installing the more permanent type of speed awareness electronic signs if these are required.
None were due.
0213/2 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
None were declared.
0213/3 MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING HELD ON 17 JANUARY 2013
It was agreed to make the following changes: 0113/06 StreteWise report - Dates to read 2012 and 2013.
The remainder of the above minutes were AGREED as a true and correct record and were signed by the Chairman.
0213/5 DISTRICT COUNCILLOR’S REPORT
RF reported that SHDC renewable energy policies need to be refined. Jonathan Dimbleby is now not able to take part in the sponsored Coastal Walk which was a shame because of the publicity it would have attracted, it is hoped that a replacement celebrity can be found. When the PC has a contentious planning application that the PC is objecting to, it would be advantageous if a representative could attend the meeting to explain the objections. The SHDC budget has been fixed with a 3.5% increase. The public toilet closures are still being considered, RF has suggested that instead they could be serviced less frequently. RF was alerted by a parishioner that the Kings Arms has been issued with two sets of business rates, one for the pub and one for the car park which is a non-revenue item. He has given them advice on appeal.
The lack of progress on the new stretch of coastal footpath was discussed, there is very slight progress and apparently the delay was caused by one property going on the market, but this has in fact been for sale for some time. A meeting was held two weeks ago with another landowner and the MOD are on standby for the munitions sweep. The clerk will ask NE what the latest situation is.
0213/6 SPEEDING REPORTS
For the PC to discuss any issues raised by Devon & Cornwall Constabulary and parishioners. This item was covered in the open forum and it was agreed to request DCC to consider a large fixed sign.
0213/7 TRAND LIMITED
To discuss suggestion received by Trand regarding further PC input and arrangements for public participation in a possible future scheme for affordable housing and village car parking. Andrew Wiles of Trand has made a suggestion regarding possible next steps. This was discussed by councillors and agreed that the Clerk shall reply to say that at present the PC doesn’t have any set policy on any number of homes or a location and therefore it will be considered when a planning application was lodged. This is for the landowner and his agent to progress and Trand need to discuss with SHDC what would be acceptable under the VHI. There is an understanding that there is a need for affordable housing in the village, which was confirmed by a housing needs survey, but to provide this and other gain for the village, there needs to be cross subsidy. There have been some draft plans and proposals given by Trand but these were neither definite nor complete. TC proposed we ask Trand to submit their definitive proposals as previously agreed and then a public showing of these will be facilitated.
0213/4 COUNTY COUNCILLOR’S REPORT
DCC set their budget today; they are freezing their council tax and taking up a 1% government grant offer. They are reinstating the highways budget and investing extra in the lengthsman service. Grass will still only receive 4 cuts a year, no news yet on who is carrying this out. JB will also chase Natural England on the coastal footpath latest. MH spoke to JB regarding the perceived inconsistency on SHDC planning policy and the fact that financial considerations are strong on possible appeals. The PC’s views do not appear to be regarded by SHDC, which is a complaint often echoed by other PCs.
0213/8 REPRESENTATIVE’S REPORTS ON OUTSIDE BODIES
To receive reports from councillors on their attendance at meetings or reports:
StreteWise - email@example.com www.stretewise.co.uk – MH announced the Photographic Winner as Pauline Aucott, a trophy will be presented and the competition will open again for next year.0213/9 TREE WARDEN REPORT
Some trees have been lost in the gales and various DCC tree orders have been attached to roadside trees for the attention of the tree owners requesting their attention.
0213/10 PARISH REPRESENTATIVE REPORTS
Traffic & Highways: (JS nothing to report.
Litter Bins, Street Litter: (DR) nothing to report.
Play Park: (KG)
To discuss and approve fencing replacementThe quotes received were discussed and it was agreed to accept the quote from SHDC. The clerk is to meet Tor Homes on site to discuss the surrounding properties’ vegetation, which must in future be kept cut back in order not to damage the fencing again.
Public Rights of Way: (IC) – nothing to report.
Strete Sands, Strete Gate, Pilchard’s Cove: (IC & KG) nothing to report.
Tannen Land (Community Area) & Dog Waste Bin: (BS) – a neighbouring property has asked for permission to install a gate in the perimeter fencing to allow the removal of some large equipment. The PC is not able to grant any such permission and it was therefore suggested that they temporarily remove a section of fencing and replace it afterwards.
To discuss any update from Tozers (Solicitors) on the Management Agreement. Tozers have now amended the Heads of Terms and Management Agreement and submitted this to DCC. We await their response.
Milestones & benches: (MH) all are fine at present, one remains to be inspected.
PC Website www.strete.org.uk & PC email firstname.lastname@example.org : (Editor – Clerk) – nothing to report.0213/11 PLANNING & PLANNING MATTERS
New applications to be considered by the PC at this meeting:
54/0061/13/F Higher Burlestone Farm, Burlestone, Strete, TQ6 0LW – retrospective planning application for retention of caravan (to be used as an office and farm welfare facility), extension and associated works. – Planning Officer, Bruce Acton. The PC agreed to raise no objection.
54/0202/13/F 34 Start Bay Park, Strete, TQ6 0RY – householder application for new roof over kitchen. Planning Officer, Chris Mitchell. The site is well known to councillors and the PC agreed to raise no objection.
54/0263/12/F Lower Fuge Farm, Strete, TQ6 0LL – New farm building (building 1), farmyard, silage, clamp, slurry store, access improvement and landscaping. Planning Officer, Claire Boobier.
54/0265/12/F Lower Fuge Farm, Strete, TQ6 0LL – New farm building (building 2). Planning Officer, Claire Boobier.
54/0267/12/F Lower Fuge Farm, Strete, TQ6 0LL – New farm building (building 3). Planning Officer, Claire Boobier.
54/0270/12/F Lower Fuge Farm, Strete, TQ6 0LL – New farm building (building 4). Planning Officer, Claire Boobier.
54/0271/12/F Lower Fuge Farm, Strete, TQ6 0LL – New farm building (building 5). Planning Officer, Claire Boobier.The PC agreed to a site visit for all five Lower Fuge applications above on Sunday 24th at 10am.
Applications brought forward from a previous meeting:
NoneSHDC DECISION NOTICES RECEIVED
54/2524/12/F The Haven, Strete, TQ6 0RR – demolition of existing building and construction of new dwelling incorporating elements of existing structure. Conditional approval.
54/2596/12/F The Manor, Strete, TQ6 0RR – householder application for building of new storage shed and associated works. Conditional approval – the building shall only be used in connection with the adjoining dwelling house as storage and for no business of commercial activity or residential accommodation and there shall be no floodlighting or other external lighting at the site.
54/2729/12/F 6 Crestway, Strete, TQ6 0SF – householder application for erection of single storey lean-to porch to side of property. Conditional approval.
54/2813/12/F Cherry Orchard, Strete, TQ6 0RU. Householder application for reconfiguration of existing garage. Conditional approval.
54/0044/13/F Antrim, Strete, TQ6 0RH – Renewal of extant planning permission 54/1923/09/F Householder application for alterations to bungalow to create two storey dwelling. Conditional Approval.
54/2522/12/F Hartley Cottage, Strete, TQ6 0RU – Householder application for a loft conversion – application affecting the setting of a Listed building – application affecting a Conservation Area. Conditional Approval.
54/0068/13/F Farm buildings at Higher Burlestone Farm, Burlestone, Dartmouth TQ6 0LW - to solid cover (roof) over part of existing yard. Conditional Approval.Applications REFUSED:
The Clerk supplied the Chairman with the bank balances as follows:
Current Account opening balance £8,240.31
Cheques to be approved for signature:
1204 Strete Parish Hall – hall hire £21.00
1205 Andrea Phillips – Clerk’s salary £207.81
1206 C J Dayment – further hedgecutting for the PC and parishioners £27.60
Closing Balance £7,983.90
Petty Cash £55.94
Reserve Account opening balance - unchanged £10,244.41
It was agreed to split the extra Dayment bill between the houses cut.
Further to the agreement of the PC to consider a quote for a PC laptop, the web hosts have recommended a Dell for a long guarantee and reliability, all in for around £600 plus VAT, which can be claimed back. The PC was in agreement to go ahead as instructed to do so by SHDC.
It was proposed and AGREED by all present to authorise payments as enumerated above.
0213/13 POINTS OF INFORMATION
The following items will be available in the mail bag to be circulated.
Voluntary Vine - publication
Clerks & Councils Direct - publication
Devon Senior Voice - newsletter0213/14 CORRESPONDENCE
Dartmouth Medical Practice – request for PC representative to join their Patient Participation Group – BS volunteered, all were in agreement; the group will meet bi-monthly.
WRVS – donation thanks.
Coleridge Assn agenda – 27.2.13 – BS to attend.
PC Roger Hewitt – reply to Mr Finnegan’s email regarding speeding. This was discussed in the Open Forum.0213/15 REPORTS
The Snow Warden might be needed this month; there is still a large store of road salt/grit for parish use available.
KG mentioned the pavement redesign opposite the Post Office has still not been done.
The parish flag pole is now erected outside the Parish Hall and will go up for the Queen’s birthday, St George’s Day and the 70th anniversary of Operation Tiger, plus other local important days. The PC thanked BS for his work in doing this.
0213/16 THE NEXT PARISH COUNCIL MEETING WILL BE HELD ON THURSDAY 21 MARCH 2013 IN STRETE PARISH HALL at 7.30PM.
THE MEETING WAS CLOSED at 9.40 p.m.
Signed: .......................................................................................................................................... Cllr Tony Crawford (Chairman)
Dated: 21 FEBRUARY 2013