STRETE PARISH COUNCIL
Clerk: Mrs Andrea Phillips
1 Hyne Town, Strete, Dartmouth TQ6 0RT
firstname.lastname@example.org 01803 770786 www.strete.org.uk
MINUTES OF A MEETING OF STRETE PARISH COUNCIL (PC)
HELD IN STRETE PARISH HALL ON THURSDAY 18 OCTOBER 2012 AT 7.30 P.M.
Cllr Tony Crawford, Chairman (TC) Cllr Ian Cumberlidge (IC)
Cllr Kate Gill, Vice-Chairman (KG) Cllr Malcolm Hollis (MH)
Cllr David Rothwell (DR) Cllr Jeff Scanlan (JS)
Cllr Bryan Seymour (BS)
Cllr Julian Brazil, County Councillor, Kingsbridge & Stokenham Ward (JB)
Cllr Richard Foss, District Councillor, Skerries Ward (RF)
Mrs Andrea Phillips – Clerk
Two members of the public
No matters were raised.
It was agreed the Clerk should ask PCSO SB to keep an eye on cars parked on Totnes Hill.
PCSO Sam Broad (SB) Devon & Cornwall Constabulary
1012/2 DECLARATIONS OF INTEREST
None were declared.
1012/3 MINUTES OF THE PREVIOUS MEETING HELD ON 20 SEPTEMBER 2012
The above minutes were AGREED as a true and correct record and were signed by the Chairman.
1012/4 COUNTY COUNCILLOR’S REPORT
JB’s report was postponed in his absence.
1012/5 DISTRICT COUNCILLOR’S REPORT
RF reported on the recent Peer Challenge at SHDC, which had a good outcome and SHDC was awarded a car park commendation . Boundaries are set to be reviewed for MPs with possible changes. Skerries ward will remain unchanged in the district boundaries once the new housing has been completed at Stoke Fleming as the numbers will comply. Road markings were discussed and it was agreed the Clerk will ask JB on whether the road markings have been finished on Blackpool Hill as these have now disappeared along with the cat’s eyes. Council tax will be set against a capped rise next year. There is currently a consultation being carried out on recycling and systems may well change as a result. A new family in Southwood Lane have been initially told by DCC that the Stoke Fleming school bus won’t take their children as they live too close to the school. But DCC are to do a site visit, JB will be asked to intervene if necessary. RF highlighted the Police Commissioner elections due to be held next month. Candidate’s names have not been released yet but as soon as they are the Clerk will display these on the notice board.
1012/6 REPRESENTATIVE’S REPORTS ON OUTSIDE BODIES
To receive reports from councillors on their attendance at meetings or reports:
• StreteWise - email@example.com www.stretewise.co.uk – MH – new subs are still being received and now the magazine has a website which will be an extra feature for magazine advertisers at no extra charge. It will also contain a ‘recommend a tradesperson’ page.
• Stoke Fleming PC (TAP Fund) – 3.10.12 – BS & JS attended SF PC meeting where it was unanimously agreed that funds should be applied for from the TAP fund and awarded to the Dartmouth and Totnes Ring and Ride. Their organiser also attended the meeting to explain the service where it was reported that the R&R buses are also available for private hire. It is hoped Strete PC will be represented at the Cluster Meeting by BS and JS on 21.11.12.
• Coleridge Association – next meeting 24.10.12 this is to be held in Strete parish hall and a way of working in the future will be decided.
• Dartmouth & District Transport Group – the local meeting was postponed due to the fact that no First representatives were able to attend. A new date will be set at the end of November, to be held in the Plymouth bus depot. First are having difficulties in North Devon and strike action is looming in this area. Two bus accidents locally this week have disrupted traffic and services, plus there have been a number of service related complaints.
1012/7 TREE WARDEN REPORT
SHDC have placed a TPO on the sycamore in the Kings Arms garden, so its removal is now not possible due to its community value and it does not pose a visibility hazard. But it would appear that it is no longer the Kings Arms garden, nor is Rose Cottage; these have both been excluded from the new tenancy for unknown reasons and retained by Heavitree Brewery, it was suggested perhaps for possible development? SW Highways are to write to the overhanging hedge owner to trim.
1012/8 PARISH REPRESENTATIVE REPORTS
• Traffic & Highways: (JS) there is a possible problem with extra cars parking on the west side of Totnes Road which is causing some problems with visibility of traffic approaching from both directions. This will be passed to the PCSO if it causes further problems.
• Litter Bins, Street Litter: (DR) nothing to report.
• Play Park: (KG) – an old shed has been propped up against the failing fence.
i. Two quotes have been received for the fence renewal; the Clerk is trying for a third. The two received are for different lengths; the Clerk will obtain similar quotes.
ii. Play Park safety report received from SDHC/Allianz – this was discussed and agreed there are no urgent category items mentioned, the apparatus net is still being investigated by SHDC. It was reported that some play parks actively encourage assessed risk taking play by children and no barriers and mats are provided. The lack of goal posts was discussed and agreed that we can’t create new timber posts as in the past as the insurers won’t allow any design not approved and conforming to safety regulations. KG is to look at pricing new 5-a-side posts/nets.
• Public Rights of Way: (IC) – no problems to report.
• Strete Sands, Strete Gate, Pilchard’s Cove: (IC & KG) – a large camper van which blocked the area has moved on. Two more landslides have occurred at the Strete end.
i. JB arrived in time to discuss signage for the free DCC spaces at the entrance to the SHDC car park. It was agreed that fishermen parking overnight are not to be discouraged, merely the camper vans which tend to stay for a few days or even longer thus preventing a turnover of the spaces. DCC would need to create a new traffic order for it to be an offence and it was suggested therefore to sign the area simply stating overnight camping was not allowed to see if this helped in the first instance. All were in agreement.
• Tannen Land (Community Area) & Dog Waste Bin: (BS) – the walls and bench areas plus the bus stop area have all been strimmed. The lanes now need attention, it is hoped Mr Dayment will be available soon.
• i) to discuss renewal of Heads of Terms for Management Agreement on the Tannen Land as received from DCC / NPS – some minor amendments have been made by DCC and previous suggested enhancements made by Strete PC have not been included. All were in agreement to go ahead as soon as possible.
• Milestones & benches: (MH) four benches have been attended to by JS, remaining three will be done by JS and MH. Milestones have all been checked by MH.
• Website: (Editor – Clerk) – the clerk’s email address linked to the website has been set up, it is firstname.lastname@example.org unfortunately the pub doesn’t have a website to link to. Providing a PC laptop was agreed should be looked into cost wise.
1012/4 COUNTY COUNCILLOR’S REPORT
JB reported that he was very disappointed that the LAG grant of £15,000 had been lost due to landowner agreements not being place in time. He will chase up DCC/NE to see why there has been such a delay. KG reported that one landowner has agreed in principle and is awaiting an agreement. It would appear that landowners for four smaller stretches are appointing an agent and the remaining two are in discussion. A Creation Order by DCC is being prepared in conjunction with these talks as a fall back. The TAP funding application has been agreed with Stoke Fleming PC and we await the results of the bid. It is budget time of the year at DCC County Hall and cut backs are inevitable. JB checked out the road down through Burlestone to Snails Castle, and it appears the road is passable with care. It is on the DCC list for ‘ploughing’ but this may take some time due to work load levels and its usage. Historically it has always been a problem and there is signage saying it is not suitable. It would appear that not much more can be done. JB was informed of a potential school bus problem as reported earlier and he has asked to be part of the process.
1012/9 TRAND LIMITED
A meeting was held on 11.10.12 at which Trand presented a suggested whole site layout consisting of 5 open market houses and 12 for mainly rental. Debbie Holloway from Forward Planning at SDHC was also present together with JB. It is thought that these numbers don’t fall within a Village Housing Initiative scheme and therefore it would be considered a departure. It currently does not contain parking for the village nor allotments, but it is thought the latter could be provided by the landowner elsewhere. After discussion, it was agreed to write to Trand to say that as it is not a VHI, the PC is not required to do a call for sites but can they revisit their numbers to create a VHI scheme as an alternative for village approval, no formal action would be taken without the plans being presented to the parish, these are merely early stage discussions. The PC would still like to see parking provided and the final plan would need to fit the Neighbourhood Plan, currently in creation.
1012/10 STRETE NEIGHBOURHOOD PLAN
MH will update and circulate a revised draft plan to contain the do nothing and do something scenarios.
1012/11 TAP FUNDING
Covered above in item No 6.
1012/12 PARISH COUNCIL DISPENSATION POLICY
To agree SHDC ‘s required inserts following the new Code of Conduct when a Councillor has declared a pecuniary interest. In the case where a Councillor has a pecuniary interest as listed on their register and it would prevent the item being discussed due to the meeting being inquorate, it was agreed that the Clerk shall approve or not the dispensation, in line with SHDC recommendations, if the councillor gives notice to the clerk 5 days prior to the meeting. It will not be granted if the Council were to remain quorate without the member.
1012/13 PLANNING & PLANNING MATTERS
New applications to be considered by the PC at this meeting:
Applications brought forward from a previous meeting:
SHDC DECISION NOTICES RECEIVED
The Clerk supplied the Chairman with the bank balances as follows:
Current Account opening balance £6,572.00
Cheques to be approved for signature:
1184 Strete Parish Hall – hall hire x 2 £26.00
1185 Andrea Phillips – Clerk’s salary. £207.81
1186 Coleridge Association – 2 years subs £30.00
Total expenditure £263.81
Funds received –
Coleridge Assn – refund of surplus funds £150.00
Half precept £3717.00
Petty Cash opening balance £10.30
Less ink cartridge and paper @ £7.36
Petty Cash closing balance £2.94
Reserve Account opening balance £10,240.57
Funds received: interest @ £ 3.84
Reserve account closing balance £10,244.41
It was proposed and AGREED by all present to authorise payments as enumerated above but the cheque for the Coleridge Association would be held in abeyance until it was needed.
1012/15 POINTS OF INFORMATION
The following items will be available in the mail bag to be circulated.
• Devon Senior Voice – publication
• DCC – Devon Heritage Services
• Voluntary Vine – South Hams CVS publication
• Stoke Fleming PC – copy TAP application form
MH’s absence was delayed and hence he attended this evening but will not be present for the next two meetings.
MH’s and possibly other phone lines had been out of action for the last 5 days. BT is very slow to attend.
The delay in posting July PC meeting minutes due to there not being a meeting in August was discussed and agreed that they would be approved by email sufficient enough to be approved in August and posted, pending formal approval in September.
DR proposed the date of Monday 29th November in Strete Parish Hall for the second defibrillator training evening to be hosted by the Ambulance Trust, the Clerk will arrange posters.
A parishioner has suggested a way of marking the passing of a resident by flying a Union Flag at half mast at a suitable site in the village, this was agreed would be a good tradition to start and enquiries will be made for a site.
1012/18 THE NEXT PARISH COUNCIL MEETING WILL BE HELD ON THURSDAY 22 NOVEMBER 2012 IN STRETE PARISH HALL at 7.30PM.
THE MEETING WAS CLOSED at 9.40 p.m.
Signed: Cllr Tony Crawford (Chairman)
Dated: 22 NOVEMBER 2012